Personal Development Time (Tutor Time):
Our tutor time currently consists of 5 key strands delivered every week. At Astrea Academy Dearne, we strive to ensure that all learning time is used effectively including the daily tutor time session. Pupils are in horizontal year groups with an assigned Pastoral Leader and a Teaching Head of Year.
Pastoral Leader Year 7
Mr Terry Simon: Terry.Simon@astreadearne.org
Ms Lauren Myers Lauren.Myers@astreadearne.org
Pastoral Leader Year 8
Mrs Kay Child: Kay.Child@astreadearne.org
Mr Colm Atkinson: Colm.Atkinson@astreadearne.org
Pastoral Leader Year 9
Miss Emma Simpson: Emma.Simpson@astreadearne.org
Mr Thomas Bagnall Thomas.Bagnall@astreadearne.org
Pastoral Leader Year 10
Mrs Colette Ellis: Colette.Ellis@astreadearne.org
Mrs Jessica Stork Jessica.Stork@astreadearne.org
Pastoral Leader Year 11
Miss Jess Cleary: Jessica.Cleary@astreadearne.org
Mr Chris Hazard: Christopher.Hazard@astreadearne.org
All year groups undergo the following sessions: Form Schedule
All year groups (except for Y11 that may have some bespoke intervention in addition to tutor time activities) undergo the following sessions:
- Reading – delivered using Astrea Reading Strategy. Three books per year group. Use a range of reading strategies as shared in training. Texts are culturally diverse.
- Careers – delivered by our internal CEAIG lead these sessions are made up of bespoke presentations, live broadcasts, Grofar activities and career events through the year
- Moral Dilemmas – scenarios and discussions around moral decision making in real life situations, linking in British Values and Protected characteristics, and being able to articulate these confidently.
- Attendance, Behaviour, and Culture – a weekly celebration of classroom commendations, attendance and sessions that build upon our trust ethos and expectations. An assembly quiz is also completed to ensure we are retaining personal development knowledge and consistently working on our character education.
- Assembly – delivered to celebrate or focus on annual events, raise awareness, give information and support on matters such as anti-bullying, protected characteristics, British Values, cultural celebrations and current news as well as celebrate successes amongst the year group. Our assembly programme is a progressive curriculum, having weekly themes that are built upon each academic year.
Student work in tutor time:
Our students have their own tutor time exercise book whereby they will complete their tutor time activities and reflections. We expect students to demonstrate our PROUD expectations when completing this work such as the examples below:
- Punctuation and grammar
- Ruler and pencil for diagrams
- Outstanding effort every lesson
- Underline titles and key information
- Dates and titles every lesson