Personal Development Time (Tutor Time):
Our tutor time currently consists of 5 key strands delivered every week. At Astrea Academy Dearne we strive to ensure that all learning time is used effectively including the daily tutor time session. Pupils are in horizontal year groups with an assigned Student Safeguarding Lead and a Lead Form Tutor.
Y7 – SSL: Mr T Simon; LT: Mrs J Stork
Y8 – SSL Miss E Simpson; LT: Mr C Atkinson
Y9 – SSL: Mrs C Ellis; LT: Mr C Hazard
Y10 – SSL: Miss J Cleary; LTs: Mrs N Forrest & Mr G Oliver
Y11 – SSL: Mrs K Child; LTs: Mrs N Forrest & Mr G Oliver
All year groups undergo the following sessions: Astrea Dearne Personal Development Time Overview Autumn 2021
- Reading – delivered using Astrea Reading Strategy. Three books per year group. Use a range of reading strategies as shared in training.
- Careers – delivered by our internal CEAIG lead these sessions are made up of bespoke presentations, live broadcasts, Grofar activities and career events through the year
- PiXL LORIC – designed to develop a range of skills including: leadership, organisation, resilience, independence, communication, wellbeing, oracy, e-safety, futures and interactions with others (Them and Us) a bespoke programme is delivered for each year group in school
- Rewards and Recognition – a weekly celebration of classroom commendations, attendance and house points shared in the assembly slot.
- Assembly – delivered to celebrate or focus on annual events, raise awareness, give information and support on matters such as anti-bullying, protected characteristics, cultural celebrations and current news as well as celebrate successes amongst the year group.
Example Personal Development Activities:
PiXL LORIC LORIC Overview Spring 2022
Students will read for a total of 45 minutes per week over two form sessions. Each year, students will read three novels in form time, meaning that they will have read fifteen novels by the time they leave school. Texts have been chosen to cover a range of genres and themes, as well as exposing students to a diverse range of authors.
- In year 7, students will read The Boy in the Tower, the Boy at the Back of the Class, and Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.
- In year 8, students will read The Golden Compass, Chinglish, and The Call of the Wild.
- In year 9, students will read Noughts and Crosses, The Boxer, and The Time Machine.
- In year 10, students will read 1984, Fahrenheit 451, and The War of the Worlds.
- In year 11, students will read Never Let Me Go, The Beekeeper of Aleppo, and Dubliners.
- From September 2022*, all assemblies will be pre-planned according to an assembly schedule
- A theme will be delivered every week; each year group will have a different assembly based on the same theme
- This will ensure a progressive curriculum model to assemblies so that the curriculum is built upon each year and avoids repetition
- Links to PREP and LORIC identified alongside assemblies for each year group where relevant
- *Work is currently underway to make the assemblies
Student work in tutor time:
Our students have their own tutor time exercise book whereby they will complete their tutor time activities and reflections. We expect students to demonstrate our PROUD expectations when completing this work such as the examples below:
- Punctuation and grammar
- Ruler and pencil for diagrams
- Outstanding effort every lesson
- Underline titles and key information
- Dates and titles every lesson